Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Encaustic Series: Depression in Wax

In this series I used Encaustic (beeswax) Collage as my medium for all of the pieces.  I based the series on depression and people I have met struggling with depression.  Depression is not considered an acceptable disease in society today.  When people hear "depression" they simply think that it is only an emotional thing, not a mental disease.  They consciously or unconsciously steer away from people with "depression" as if they could catch it too, like you would a cold.  In this series I wanted to represent some of these people struggling with this illness and a bit of their story (Kim, Emily, Jacob, Drowned).  I also wanted to show depression as a treatable illness (Postpartum, Serenity).  






















Kim
9"x 11"
2009

































Drowned
18"x 24"
2009



















Serenity
12"x 12"
2009



















Emily
20"x 20"
2010













Jacob
24"x 12"
2010
































Postpartum
18"x 26"
2010

No comments:

Post a Comment